Friday 27 September 2013

29 FACES DAY 27


FACE 29

Yes I've managed to achieved the 29 faces within 28 days for the 29 FACES challenge, though there were several times this month that I doubted my ability to manage it.  Although I've done all 29, I shall post another one tomorrow on the last day to complete my efforts to do something different each day.

The chap above is my initial drawing, and it's doing double duty.  As well as showing it for my 29th face, it is an image I have been creating this week for The Artful Reading Club challenge, where we review a book each month and make a piece of artwork inspired by the book.  My September book was 'A Place of Meadows and Tall Trees' by Clare Dudman.  Although the subject of Welsh emigrés trying to set up a colony in Patagonia should have been interesting as social history, I got annoyed with the characters and the way they responded to the terrible situations they encountered.

Patagonian Indian
Unfinished mixed media painting - Jez
When I had finished the book I had absolutely no inspiration for an artwork, and the only character who had stayed in my memory was that of a very old Patagonian Indian who at first frightened them, but later helped them to exist at a rudimentary level.  I found a very small and very blurred image of a Patagonian Indian on the web to help me.

I have to say my old chappie looks very little like the photograph.  He looks as fed up as I did when I finished the book.  My apologies to the author, Clare Dudman, if she is by chance reading this.  I am not at all pleased with my painting, and even when it is finished I still won't be pleased with it.

I put my initial drawing up at the start of this post because I was much happier with the drawing than with the painting.  I hope that you will call back tomorrow to see my last face.  Thank you for checking in on Face 29.

Here are faces 21 to 28 from this week:







Also linking to Artful Reading Club, Paint Party Friday and Paper Saturdays tomorrow.

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing Marthas 29 faces. It is not an easy challenge. I look forward to seeing your remaining faces. I agree it is fustrating to read a book when you dislike the characters but I think your Patagonian Indian has very interesting features and expression:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on finishing the task! Your Indian does look a bit frustrated - perhaps he didn't like the book either! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the intricate detail on your Patagonian Indian. Isn't if funny how we all have such diverse tastes. I love him because there is so much character in his face, along with angst, disappointment and wisdom. I am not a huge fan of portraits because I can take a photo of a tree, a face, a river... I love the interpretation of the photo in a unique style, whimsy, and uniqueness! I think he is so wonderful and you are way too hard on yourself! Love the textures in his hat too!! Congratulations on finishing the challenge with so much diversity!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adore the faces - what is incredible is that they are each so different - you are one talented lady - no doubt you've heard that before. Congratulations on finishing the 29 !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finished too! It seems like a miracle. I really really like these here. GREAT wrinkles and character!

    And it's really cool seeing the collection. You've really tried a lot of different stuff out, with some great results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic face, so much wisdom there. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on finishing a book that didn't work for you (I always give up if it doesn't catch me) and for finishing the 29 Faces challenge! I think he has a lot of character with the lines on his face. I have loved all of your faces through this challenge and I love that you try so many different things. I'll be back to visit your blog long after this challenge has ended. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on finishing the challenge. This portrait seems to capture some of the emotions you expressed about the book!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. good for you to complete such a challenge! I can tell by the serious face of the portrait that you put your thoughts on the book to him. He reminds me of a wise and knowing sage. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. such good practice! your patagonian is looking good! happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. congratulations for reaching the end of the 29faces challenge. AND for having fallen into the habit of painting each day. alpha shanahan 34

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your face is done quite well. Lots of character in that old guy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job. You did wonderful on all your faces. Thanks
    gloria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful variety of faces, interesting and original! Love the last one, so expressive and intricate! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is just wonderful to see them all together. Such a variety in style or rather mediums because in every single one I can see your style. I have really enjoyed catching up although that has been really hard when I was comitted to two challenges, 29faces and paper Saturdays. I can't wait to have a little bit of breath so I can visit in the normal way again. Loved you work as always Jez, keep it coming! ManonXx Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!!! I just love ALL your faces. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, and I always enjoy visiting your blogs.
I have been shown how to remove moderation and yet avoid spam, so there's now no moderation and no word verification either.

I love to look at blogs that are new to me, but if you are on Google + I am sadly not able to comment, even though I do want to.